What? : Mariposa Sequoia Grove is a sequoia grove located near Wawona, in the southernmost part of Yosemite National Park. It is the largest grove of giant sequoias in Yosemite Park, with several hundred large trees. This is probably the most beautiful Sequoia grove outside Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
The Mariposa Grove is the largest of three Giant Sequoia groves in the park and is home to over 500 mature giant sequoia trees.
When visiting here plan for a half a day stay.
Where? : Mariposa Sequoia Grove is located near the South Entrance of Yosemite.
If you are coming from Fresno drive north on Highway 41, after passing the small town of Fish Camp, drive an additional 2.8 miles and you will reach Yosemite south entrance gate. Right after the gates, at the roundabout, turn right and park at the Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza.
Park your car here and walk to the shuttle bus station.
If you are coming from Yosemite Valley, take Wawona Rd to Tunnel View, you must stop to enjoy the view if you did not visit here until now, keep driving up through the tunnel, from here it is 24.5 miles drive until reaching the Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza.
When? : Mariposa Sequoia Grove is open year round to visitors but….
In the winter when it snows there is no shuttle bus active, but you can still hike up to the grove, this is a 1 mile hike up to the grove hike starting point and you will need to hike this down after your visit.
Related Blog Posts:
- Yosemite National Park - How to plan your One-Day visit
- Yosemite National Park - Bear Pictures
- Yosemite NP – Hiking Mist trail to Vernal Falls and Nevada Fall
- Yosemite NP – Hike to Half Dome Diving Board
- Yosemite NP – Cloud Rest Hike
- Yosemite NP – 4 Miles Trail to Glacier Point
- Yosemite NP – Inspiration Point Hike
- Yosemite NP – Tunnel View to Dewey Point Hike
- Yosemite NP – Wawona Pioneer Yosemite History Center
- Yosemite NP – Tioga Pass Road
- Yosemite NP – Tioga Pass May Lake Hike
- Yosemite NP – Tioga Pass North Dome Hike
- Yosemite NP – Tioga Pass Lembert Dome Hike
- Yosemite NP – Tioga Pass Tuolumne Meadows
- Yosemite NP – Tioga Pass Tenaya Lake
- Yosemite NP – Tuolumne Sequoia Grove
- Yosemite NP – Hetch Hetchy Visit Planning
- Yosemite NP – Hetch Hetchy, Wapama Falls Day Hike
- Yosemite NP – Hetch Hetchy, Laurel Lake Day Hike
Related Blog Posts: