What? : The narrow 4.5 miles long winding road is beautiful destination by itself as well as it has few attractions along the road, the most important of them are the Hawai‘i Tropical Bioreserve & Garden amd Onomea Bay.
Where? : To get into the road, you'll want to head North from Hilo on Highway 19 and between mile marker 7 and 8 you will see a sign for the Scenic Drive, turn right.
If you are coming from the north, heading south, just before the town of Pepeekeo you will see the singe, turn left int to the sideroad. This is exactly 2.7 miles south of Honomu (the entrance to Akaka Falls State Park).
Link to other Big Islands Blog posts:
- Kauai - Island Visit and Trip Planning
- Maui – Overview, Visit Planning and Tips
- Big Island – Overview, Visit Planning and Tips
- Big Island – Beaches, Northwest Ocean Shore
- Big Island - Waterfalls at Wailuku River State Park
- Big Island – Pepeekeo Maikai Scenic Route
- Big Island – Driving North of Hilo, Northeastern Ocean Shoreline
- Big Island - Akaka Falls State Park
- Big Island - Waipi'o Valley
- Big Island - Pololū Valley
- Big Island – Drive through the island central high section
- Big Island - Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park